When I was much younger, mom used to make these medicinal drinks using some herbs and tree barks for my siblings and I to drink.
I must say that we never looked forward to those times because the drink was bitter.
My grandmother did same but with left over skins of fruits which she fed to her goats, anytime she fed the goats they bleated in excitement.
I thought that for goats to like grandma’s potion, it tasted better than the one my mom made.
So, one day I asked mom to boil fruits skins instead and she did.
In these economic times of zero waste, I believe that things can be used and recycled.
They include orange skin, orange pulp, pineapple skin, sour sop skin, pawpaw skin and so on.
Today I will share on preparing HOMEMADE FRUIT SKIN DRINK.
The prototype today will use pineapple skin but you can substitute with any your preference.
One of the easiest drinks with pineapple skin can be prepared in the following way:
1. Wash the pineapple well and peel it.
2. Cut the skin in very small pieces and boil them with approximately a liter of water for a medium or large pineapple.
3. Cover and boil on low heat for 15 to 20 minutes.
(You can give it some different flavor by adding orange or grapefruit skin, cinnamon or a clove to the pot in addition to the pineapple skin)
4. Remove from heat and let pot sit for another five minutes.
5. Filter the drink
6. Sweeten to taste
7. Serve hot or chill and drink it cold.
I love you, I love your health.
Your favourite family physician,