Teenager poisons her boss with rat poison.
Man dies after drinking sniper pesticide.
9 month old baby accidentally drinks kerosene.
Woman drinks pesticide.
Man accidentally drinks herbicide.
These headlines scream and jump at us from the tabloids daily.
To be poisoned is to ingest a poisonous substance accidentally or intentionally. Poisons could also be injected into the body or inhaled.Poisoning is a medical emergency and should be treated as such.
WHAT TO DO IN CASE OF POISONING:
1. Get medical help immediately; don’t try home treatment. This may sound new, but the popular practice of drinking palm oil may worsen the situation. The use of milk also, following ingestion of liquid poisons may worsen the situation.
2. If the person is conscious, the person should sit still, spit out any leftovers in the mouth. DO NOT INDUCE VOMITING.
3. Read label on the container of poison and check for information on what to do in case of poisoning.
4. If person is unconscious, get the person in the left lateral position
5. If the person is not breathing, start CPR (cardio pulmonary resuscitation)
6. The person or witness can give more information on what poison was swallowed, why poison was swallowed, when it was taken and how much was taken.
I love you, I love your health.
Your favourite family physician,