I have always been adventurous in the kitchen. In addition, being a physician gave me a new perspective and i saw the need for healthy snacks for those with dietary cautions. For years i have been itching to continue this passion of mine, but postgraduate academics got in my way after i started out a few years ago. Of course, the burden to share how to help folks prepare lifestyle friendly snacks grew.
I have come across snacks in the malls for obese, hypertensives, diabetics and elderly. I have bought such snacks and I must say i was never able to swallow any of them. It felt like wood was being forced down my throat.
Well, Doctor Dileem to the rescue.In my super hero voice*
Today, i bring you dr dileem organic bean cookie. This cookie uses two major ingredients namely sweet potato and beans. It is easy and quick to prepare.
1. 1 cup cooked beans
2. 1 boiled large sweet potato
3. 1/4 cup bread crumbs
4. 1 finely chopped onion
5. Finely chopped green chillies
6. Grated cloves of garlic
7. Grated inch of ginger
8. 1/2 teaspoon red chilli powder
9. Tablespoons chopped mint leaves
10. Salt and pepper to taste
1. Boil the potato, peel it and set it aside to cool.
2. Drain and cool cooked beans
3. In a big mixing bowl, add potato and beans. Use a potato masher to mix it all up together into a thick mixture.
4. Add the ginger, garlic, chopped onions, green chillies, mint leaves and mix well using your fingers.
5. Next, season with red chilli powder, salt and pepper. Sprinkle the bread crumbs all over and combine once again. 6. The mixture should hold together like a dough now. Check the salt and spices and adjust to suit your taste.
7. Gently shape the cookies to the desired size. Line them up on a tray or plate.
8. Preheat oven to 180 degrees
9. When you are ready to bake the cookies, bake in batches till they are crisp and brown on either side.
10.Serve with a cool drink.
I love you, I love your health.
Your favourite family physician