As a Nigerian and a physician, it excites me when I hear of medical milestones in Nigeria. Only a few days ago, four month old conjoined twins who were joined from the umbilicus to the lower thorax (omphalopagus) were successfully separated in Yola, Northern Nigeria.
Conjoined twins are also called Siamese twins.
They develop after the formation of the zygote following fertilization as a result on incomplete division of the zygote and incomplete separation of the foetuses. This produces a set of identical twins joined at various parts of the body.
I happened to take delivery of a pair of conjoined twins during my practice and I learnt of these myths.
• Conjoined twins are devils
• Conjoined twins are evil spirits
• Conjoined twins are monsters
• Conjoined twins are bad omen
• Conjoined twins are bad luck
• Conjoined twins are witches or wizards
• Conjoined twins are due to spells cast on the parents
• Conjoined twins are a punishment from the gods
• Conjoined twins mean the parents are cursed
These myths are hereby busted!
See video below for the common types of conjoined twins and what you must know about conjoined twins.
I love you, I love your health.
Your favourite family physician.
NB: You can reach out to us for the health of your child. You will get a free first consultation