Garden eggs and carrots are currently in season. I have a couple of friends who would never have garden eggs if their lives depended on it. Well, I tried this on the same lot of friends and they were asking for more. They could not believe garden eggs were involved.
If you are in the same category or you have kids or loved ones in the same category, then you should really try this. I love to use olive oil when pan frying, because it is a healthy alternative if I must fry!
Some benefits of garden eggs include:
1. Eating Garden eggs reduces risk of obesity as it lowers weight
2. It contains vitamins and minerals potassium
3. It increases energy
4. It aids healthy complexion
5. It supports heart health
6. Excellent for those with diabetes
7. Consuming garden egg juice helps to reduce blood cholesterol level
8. Garden eggs contains anti-oxidants that protect body cells
9. It contains dietary fibre that helps digestion.
10. It is rich in calcium which strengthens the bones.
11. It gives early satisfaction and reduces over-eating.
This snack is also diabetes friendly,I must add.
• 1 large green garden egg grated
• 1 large white garden egg
• 2 large fresh carrots, grated(depending on your taste buds, you could add more)
• ½ one cucumber, grated
• Grated homemade cheese, grated
• 1/4 cup whole wheat flour/Oats Flour/ or regular flour
• 1 green pepper , finely chopped
• 1 teaspoon red chilli powder/ atarodo/ scotch bonnet
• 1/4 teaspoon turmeric
• 1 teaspoon mixed spices
• Handful of dried efirin/nchanwu/basil leaves (optional)
• Salt, to taste
• Olive oil, for frying patties
• Secret ingredient is mashed smoked fish (horse mackerel/titus) or tinned organic sardines (optional). This packs the snack with more protein energy and taste.
To begin making, first prepare all the ingredients and keep aside.
• Ensure you use the skin and the juice from the cucumber and garden eggs, as they are packed with nutrients.
• Combine the garden eggs, cucumber, carrots, cheese, flour, spice mix, red chilies powder/pepper, green pepper, leaves, fish and salt together in a mixing bowl and mix well.
• Check the taste and adjust the salt accordingly.
• Divide the mixture into equal portions and shape into round balls, then flatten with a spoon
• Preheat a pan over medium heat, add some olive oil, place each patty in and cook on medium heat on both sides until it gets a golden brown colour on both sides.
• Ensure you cook on low to medium heat, so the patties will cook from the inside as well.
• Serve alone or with a drink!! Absolutely Medelicious!
I love you, I love your health.
Your favourite family physician,