I was craving my tasty healthy ice cream . It is a heavenly dollop of healthy creamy goodness finding melting and finding it way down .
Preparations for it started yesterday though, but as usual, it was worth it!
My home was filled with guests today and we could not have our fill.
800ml full fat homemade coconut milk or substitute coconut cream for even creamier ice cream
4 slices fresh ginger
1/4 cup (60 ml) honey, plus more to taste
Pinch sea salt
2 tsp ground turmeric
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp black pepper
1/8 tsp cardamom (optional)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 Tbsp olive oil
1/4 cup chopped candied ginger (optional)
1. Add homemade coconut milk, fresh ginger, honey, sea salt, turmeric, cinnamon, pepper, and cardamom (optional) to a large pan and heat over medium heat.
2. Bring to a simmer (not a boil), whisking to thoroughly combine ingredients. Then, remove from heat and add vanilla extract. Whisk once more to combine.
3. Taste and adjust flavour as needed, adding in more turmeric for intense turmeric flavour, cinnamon for warmth, honey for sweetness, or salt to balance the flavours.
4. Transfer mixture (including the whole ginger slices) to a mixing bowl and let cool to room temperature. Then cover and chill in fridge overnight, or for at least 4-6 hours.
5. The following day, use a spoon to remove the ginger. At this time you can also add olive oil for extra creaminess by whisking in thoroughly to combine.
6. Chop up your candied ginger (optional) add in the ginger.
7. Add chilled mixture to a freezer-safe container lined with baking paper and use a spoon to smooth the top.
8. Cover securely and freeze for at least 4-6 hours or until firm. Remove from freezer every 1-2 hours and whisk vigorously to incorporate air.
9.Set out for 10 minutes before serving to soften
Enjoy this ice cream with serious health benefits!
I love you, I love your health.
Your favourite family physician,