Ziworitin Keke, a 59year old man was a renowned traditional circumcision expert who lived in a rural community in riverine Bayelsa. He had performed over 1000 circumcisions and counting.
On this fateful day, he asked for his 8-9 month old step grandson to be brought for circumcision. He was obliged. He went on to chop of the penis of the child in the name of circumcision. I could only hear the screams and palpate the pain of the child my mind’s eye. See details here
This kind of accident could have been prevented.
Before you take your son to be circumcised, ensure the following:
1. Ask questions
2. Use a government approved centre
3. Verify the integrity of the person who will carry out the procedure
4. Ask about appropriate anaesthetic technique
5. Verify the use of strong restraint
6. Use of appropriate instruments/ equipment (especially if it’s a traditional practitioner’s).
I love you, I love your health.
Your favourite family physician,